Author Notes: This is a recipe from a community cookbook called "Sturbridge Kitchens" from Old Sturbridge Village in Ma. The ingredients are what I would consider, not very sophisticated but it is always HUGE hit at any get together. The only thing I have changed about it is, I use fresh mushrooms.
This is one of thoses simple recipes that just works just the way it is, and it freezes beautifully! YUM! - alflynn
- Sm. carton Chopped White button mushrooms
- 1/2 cup Chopped pimento stuffed green olives
- Heaping 1/4 Cup Good quality mayonnaise (I use Hellmans)
- 1loaf Cocktail rye bread (freeze what you don't use)
- 1/2 lb. Sliced American cheese
- Sauté and brown mushrooms
- Mix mushrooms with olives and enough mayonnaise to be fairly moist
- Place a square of cheese to cover the cocktail bread and generously spread the mushroom mixture on the cheese
- Toast under broiler until you see the cheese lightly brown and bubble on on the sides of the bread. Keep a close watch on this as not to burn. * this recipe doesn't have to be followed exactly as written. It's like telling someone how much mayo & celery to use in tuna salad...it just personal preference.