If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Garlic and fresh coriander are typical in many recipes from the Alentejo in Portugal. Garlic rice has a strong garlic flavour and the secret is to not to fry the garlic so it doesn’t brown and leave a bitter after taste. Instead it's added at the same time as you add the water and becomes suttle and very digestible. We normally serve it with fish or grilled shellfish. - Maria Teresa Jorge
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves very finely chopped (green inner part removed)
- 4 sprigs fresh coriander (with stem)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chop the onions finely.
- Chop the 8 garlic cloves finely, removing the inner green part.
- Wash the coriander and remove 3 whole sprigs. Pat dry. Remove the leaves of the remaining coriander and chop finely.
- Wash the rice until the water comes out clean. Put the rice in a sieve and let drain.
- Bring the water to a boil and set aside.
- In a pan with a tight fitting lid, over medium heat, add the olive oil, the chopped onions the 3 sprigs of fresh coriander and the crushed coriander seeds, stir and fry until onion is translucent.
- Add the rice, stir very well to coat with the olive oil and lightly toast, add the garlic, mix to incorporate and add the hot water. Season with salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to the minimum and cover, allowing to simmer gently for 17 minutes – DO NOT open the lid or stir the rice during this time. Serve immediately.
- Turn off the heat and allow to rest for 3 minutes without opening the lid.
- Remove the whole coriander sprigs, fluff up the rice and mix in the chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dirt Cheap Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Rice Dish
Breakfast for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
When I dip, you dip, we dip.
Style with a breeze.
Genius, explained at last.
White and Grey Ceramic Vase
For fresh blooms.