If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A protein and iron packed salad that you'll want to make every day. - VeganSquid
Makes 2 side salads
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1/4 cup prepared black beans (canned or re-hydrated)
- 1/4 cup diced sweet yellow onion or shallots
- 1+ cup arugula
- 1+ cup spinach
- 3 medium sized tabasco peppers or similar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tahina (tahini)
- herbs and spices: paprika, sage, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and parsley
- Begin by bringing water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Add in rice and lentils and cook for about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Let sit for 10 minutes and then move on.
- In a large wok add apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, black beans, (1 tbsp) lemon juice, (1 tsp ea.) salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer. For better texture and flavour, add a bit of vegetable margarine.
- Once well combined, mix in the rice and lentils, and then add the onions and sliced tabasco peppers. You may find you want to turn the heat up a little and stir fry, that's fine! Just make sure to keep stirring.
- Once the sauce we made in the wok is mostly gone, add (1 tbsp) of your favorite oil and continue to mix until the onions have browned.
- Once onions have browned on the edges turn the heat off and drizzle tahina onto the lentils and rice. Add a bit more lemon juice for extra flavour. Stir well.
- In a large bowl add arugula together with the lentils and rice. Drizzle some extra oil and vinegar on top. Mix well and add to a smaller or salad bowl.
- Pack a nice layer of spinach onto the top of the bowl and compress it a little. This is going to give us a means to spear our food with forks and still pick up all of the ingredients.
- Place a plate, inverted, onto the bowl and invert the assembly, removing the bowl after. Garnish with parsley, sage, paprika, and black seasame seeds.
- As always I recommend adding nutritional yeast flakes but it isn't in the core of this recipe.