If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My dad grew up in Virginia and when he moved to the Chicago-land area in the early 60's - his favorite soup, which you could buy in a can off the shelf - Chicken Brunswick Stew could not be bought at any store near us. So, he made many versions of this soup until it tasted just like he remembered. I do a weeknight version using an already cooked chicken - and cooking the veggies in the microwave, but it still turns out great! - Jenn@Slim-Shoppin
- 1 pre-cooked chicken
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/2 onion, diced
- Take all the meat off the already cooked chicken and set aside.
- To shorten the cooking process, I'll cut up the potatoes and carrots and cook them in the microwave in a plastic bowl filled with 1/2 cup water until they are fork tender
- In a big pot, add a little olive oil to the bottom of the pot and add the onions. Cook for about 5 minutes on low heat. Next, I'll add the chicken stock, the cooked veggies, the corn, the crushed tomatoes and spices and add the chicken.
- All you have to do is simmer on low for about 25 minutes and serve. This soup is even better the day after and if there is any leftover, the day after that. It can be frozen in small batches too. I usually get 1 dinner and maybe 1 lunch for myself the next day, that's how much my family loves this!
- *If you want to start with a whole chicken, you can just add the chicken to a big stock pot, cook for 3-4 hours on low until it's done. Strain the broth, pick off the meat and continue with the rest of the recipe
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Prep your pans for perfection.
Stop the soap opera.