Author Notes: Believe it or not, I had never tried Chipotle until last year - I know, probably the last person on the planet that hadn't eaten there! But the first time I went, I got the bowl with brown rice, peppers, the chicken, it was amazing and I was hooked. The other night I had really thinly sliced chicken breast and I was making a pot of brown rice, when I searched my pantry, I had a can of black beans, and then I thought I'll make my own Chipotle! - Jenn@Slim-Shoppin
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 6 thin chicken breasts (like Purdue brand)
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 white onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- In a small dish, combine all the spices - this is going to be the rub. My goal was to make everything separately, then let my family build their own bowls. So the fist thing I did was put the rub on all of the chicken. I cooked that in a skillet a few at a time for about 3-4 minutes per side and then I kept the cooked ones in the oven to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, I cooked the brown rice (I added 2 tsp. of dry chicken stock to the rice and water).
- Once all the chicken was cooked and removed from the pan, I used the same skillet to add the peppers and onions. It picked up the bits of cooked chicken from the pan and I added another teaspoon of the spice rub to the veggies
- So, for my bowl, I put the brown rice on the bottom, added the peppers and onions, the chicken, and sprinkled a little cheddar cheese on top. It turned out to be a big hit! I'll definitely add this to my rotation of quick weeknight meals!