Author Notes: An odd impulse to cook oats in custard and pureed vegetables made for a very pleasant fall morning. I sometimes make a double batch and store the leftovers jam jars, making this the perfect grab and go breakfast on a frenetic weekday morning. - Niemie
- 1.5 cups Whole Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 7 ounces Pureed pumpkin
- 1/4 cup Dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Steel cut oats
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Lemon (zest and juice)
- Chopped almonds or walnuts (for garnish)
- Fruit, such as raspberries or diced apple (for garnish)
- Combine milk, eggs, spices, sugar and pumpkin to a heavy bottomed sauce pan over low heat., whisking vigorously to prevent the eggs from scrambling.
- Add the oats when the custard thickens enough to coats the back of the spoon.. Continue to stir occasionally as the oats cook according to the package instructions (about 5-7 minutes).
- Cut the heat. Incorporate the vanilla, butter, lemon zest and juice. Garnish with apple, almonds, and a dusting of cinnamon.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla