If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An odd impulse to cook oats in custard and pureed vegetables made for a very pleasant fall morning. I sometimes make a double batch and store the leftovers jam jars, making this the perfect grab and go breakfast on a frenetic weekday morning. —Niemie
- 1.5 cups Whole Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 7 ounces Pureed pumpkin
- 1/4 cup Dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Steel cut oats
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 Lemon (zest and juice)
- Chopped almonds or walnuts (for garnish)
- Fruit, such as raspberries or diced apple (for garnish)
- Combine milk, eggs, spices, sugar and pumpkin to a heavy bottomed sauce pan over low heat., whisking vigorously to prevent the eggs from scrambling.
- Add the oats when the custard thickens enough to coats the back of the spoon.. Continue to stir occasionally as the oats cook according to the package instructions (about 5-7 minutes).
- Cut the heat. Incorporate the vanilla, butter, lemon zest and juice. Garnish with apple, almonds, and a dusting of cinnamon.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla