If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I absolutely love lettuce wraps. I am always looking for new ways to reinvent lettuce wraps and up the flavor of the dish! These lettuce wraps are absolutely delicious, made with a variety of Mexican spices, and seasoned with the crisp, clean, and inviting flavor of cilantro. It's definitely a mexican fiesta. The salsa just takes these over the top! These babies are also super duper healthy, so dig in! - misschels
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey meat
- 1 whole orange bell pepper, seeded, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 whole white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 whole cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Spanish paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup green onion, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 whole lime, juiced
- 1 large head of iceberg lettuce
- 1 serrano pepper, seeds discarded, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds discarded, finely chopped
- 2 Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pineapple, cut into small chunks
- 1 pink lady apple, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 dash of salt, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a heavy frying pan over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, saute for about 3 minutes, just until the mixture has "sweat down" a bit.
- Add the spices and mix thoroughly, cook for around 1 minute.
- Add the ground turkey and salt, cooking over a medium-high heat. Make sure to break apart the turkey with the back of a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Cook the turkey for about 5 minutes, or until it begins to brown. When the turkey is lightly browned, add the green onions and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in cilantro and lime juice. Spoon 2-3 large spoonfuls of the turkey mixture into each piece of lettuce. Top the meat mixture with salsa (see recipe below).
- For the salsa, Prepare everything as noted (begin with the serrano peppers) Place all ingredients, except for lime, vinegar, and salt into a large bowl. Toss everything together with the lime juice and vinegar. Season to taste with salt.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Turkey
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
That was a close shave.