If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I hate throwing away ingredients. Plain hate it. So when I had three bushels of sage and a large container of shelled pistachios in the pantry, I knew something delicious could be created. I put my husband to work de-shelling all the pistachios (the dirty work) and within minutes I had this delicious pesto. It was a cold November day and all we wanted was some comfort food, so we slathered some sourdough with the pesto and topped it with a sharp, aged cheddar. The perfect combination and definitely a nap worthy treat! - Emily Weinberger
Makes 1 cup pesto, 4 sandwiches
For the Pesto
- I cups sage
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup olive oil
For the Sandwiches
- 8 slices of your favorite sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon pistachio sage pesto
- 2 teaspoons applesauce
- 1/4 pound sharp, aged cheddar cheese, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- For the Pesto: In the bowl of a food processor, combine the first 4 ingredients. Pulse until well blended. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while the processor is running. Season to your liking.
- For the Sandwich: 1. On one piece of bread, spread the pesto in an even layer using a knife or spoon. Spread the applesauce on top of the pesto. Lay the cheese on top on the spreads. Top with another slice of bread. Spread 1/2 tsp butter on the top slice of bread. Repeat this for the remaining three sandwiches.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add the remaining butter to the pan. Once the butter is sizzling, place the non-butter side of the sandwich in the pan. You may need to do this two at a time. It is important to not over crowd the pan.
- Heat for 5-6 minutes on one side until golden brown and the cheese begins to melt. Using a spatula, flip the sandwich to the other side and press down with spatula. Heat for another 3-4 minutes until golden brown and the cheese has been completely melted.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
A Street Food Star
The one-pot, Indian dish you've been waiting for.
Kothu paratha: one-upping one-pot meals.
Memorial Day made easy.
All you need for Memorial Day.
We need your help!
Mortar and pestle perfection.