If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The recipe is inspired by Trader Joe's Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract (http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Bottles-Bourbon-Vanilla-Extract/dp/B003ZFNFP4), and I've been obsessing over the Bourbon Vanilla flavor combo for some time now. I adapted Ina Garten's Strawberry Scone Recipe ( http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/strawberry-scones-recipe/index.html), and the result is a traditional flaky, savory scone, studded with bourbon soaked cherries, and topped with a simple bourbon vanilla glaze. - Erin @ The Food Doctors
Makes 20 small scones
Spiked Cherry Scones
- 1/3 cup Dried Cherries
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup Cold Unsalted Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 7 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract (Preferably Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract)
- Egg Wash
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coarsely chop dried cherries and place in a small bowl water and bourbon. Let soak for approximately 1 hour, then drain and gently pat dry.
- In a large food processor combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and pulse a few times to combine.
- Cut the cold butter into small chunks, and add to the dry ingredients in the food processor. Pulse for about 5 sec. until the butter is cut into small pea-sized pieces.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs, and combine with heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the food processor and pulse for another 5 sec. until the ingredients come together to form a sticky dough. (Do not over mix.)
- Remove the dough, and place on a well floured surface. Fold in the bourbon soaked cherries, but try not to overwork the dough.
- Pat the dough into a rectangle about 1'' thick, and using a sharp knife cut the dough into small rectangles. Then cut the rectangles diagonally, forming triangles.
- Place the scones on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, brush with egg wash, and bake for 15 min at 375 degrees.
- After removing scones from the oven, lift the scones off of the baking sheets immediately, and allow to cool (about 15 min.) on the counter or a wire rack.
Bourbon Vanilla Glaze
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 4 teaspoons Heavy Cream
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract (Preferably Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract)
- 2 teaspoons Bourbon
- Sift powdered sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Measure out wet ingredients and stir into the powdered sugar.
- Drizzle over cooled scones, and allow to set (about 10 min.) before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla
A Genius Dinner Party: Part 2
Of course, it involves no-knead pizza dough.
A genius dinner party: part 2
A list of things we like.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Home & design links we love.
Mortar and pestle perfection.