Author Notes: The recipe is inspired by Trader Joe's Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract (http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Bottles-Bourbon-Vanilla-Extract/dp/B003ZFNFP4), and I've been obsessing over the Bourbon Vanilla flavor combo for some time now. I adapted Ina Garten's Strawberry Scone Recipe ( http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/strawberry-scones-recipe/index.html), and the result is a traditional flaky, savory scone, studded with bourbon soaked cherries, and topped with a simple bourbon vanilla glaze. - Erin @ The Food Doctors
Makes 20 small scones
Spiked Cherry Scones
- 1/3 cup Dried Cherries
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cups Cold Unsalted Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 7 tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract (Preferably Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract)
- Egg Wash
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coarsely chop dried cherries and place in a small bowl water and bourbon. Let soak for approximately 1 hour, then drain and gently pat dry.
- In a large food processor combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and pulse a few times to combine.
- Cut the cold butter into small chunks, and add to the dry ingredients in the food processor. Pulse for about 5 sec. until the butter is cut into small pea-sized pieces.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs, and combine with heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the food processor and pulse for another 5 sec. until the ingredients come together to form a sticky dough. (Do not over mix.)
- Remove the dough, and place on a well floured surface. Fold in the bourbon soaked cherries, but try not to overwork the dough.
- Pat the dough into a rectangle about 1'' thick, and using a sharp knife cut the dough into small rectangles. Then cut the rectangles diagonally, forming triangles.
- Place the scones on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, brush with egg wash, and bake for 15 min at 375 degrees.
- After removing scones from the oven, lift the scones off of the baking sheets immediately, and allow to cool (about 15 min.) on the counter or a wire rack.
Bourbon Vanilla Glaze
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 4 teaspoons Heavy Cream
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract (Preferably Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract)
- 2 teaspoons Bourbon
- Sift powdered sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Measure out wet ingredients and stir into the powdered sugar.
- Drizzle over cooled scones, and allow to set (about 10 min.) before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla