If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my "aromatherapy" breakfast for the household on chilly days. I made it when my daughter brought some friends from college home for the weekend. One young guy told me that he had eaten a lot of oatmeal in his life, but had never had any as delicious. "It's like dessert" was the consensus. Sometimes I leave out the banana, and change up the kind of dried fruit, depending on what I have in the pantry. —zindc
Serves 4, or fewere with leftovers
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 small ripe banana, diced (or 2/3 large banana)
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 slices of ginger root, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/3 cup golden raisins, dried apricots, white figs, chopped
- 1"x3" slice of orange peel, without pith
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, heat the water and milks.
- Add the banana. Scrape out seeds from vanilla bean before adding the bean to the pot, and add the other spices, orange peel and salt.
- When the liquid is at the boiling point, drizzle in the oatmeal, stirring constantly.
- Add the dried fruit.
- Simmer on a very low flame, on a flame tamer if possible, stirring frequently for a minimum of 30-40 minutes. Add more water, if it is getting too thick.
- Remove vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, ginger slices, orange peel before serving.
- Serve with almond milk, butter, and choice of brown sugar, maple or agave syrup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla
Cool Ice Cream Tips
They'll change the way you cook—er, churn
The coolest ice cream tips.
The zucchini spaghetti of Italy.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.