If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When family and friends assemble to celebrate the holidays nothing is more comforting than a nice cup of hot chocolate on a brisk cool evening. This recipe came to me by combing ingredients in the pantry that added character to a standard hot chocolate recipe. - Adrian V. Mabon
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream (set aside)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 8 ounces package semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Mexican vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Powdered sugar (set aside)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 bunch canela cinnamon sticks
- 1 shot rum (optional) into each cup
- In a medium pot add cocoa powder and granulated sugar and one cup of milk incorporate with a wire whisk to dissolve the cocoa, add chile powder,cayenne, and cinnamon and salt stir and place on medium heat add remaining three cups of whole milk and 8 ounce of chocolate chips stir continuously for 20 minutes until chips have dissolved. Add pinch of salt and Mexican vanilla extract,pour mixture through a sieve to remove any undisolved pieces of chocolate. Stir and serve in cups with or without rum topped with fresh whipped cream and one stick of Canela cinnamon to stir
- To make whipped cream, place 1 cup heavy cream in a cold medium size bowl with two tablespoons of powdered sugar and 1 additional teaspoon of Mexican vanilla extract with electric mixer beat until thick and frothy. spoon on top of hot chocolate.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla