If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Because why should banana and zucchini have all the fun? This is adapted from my mom’s recipe for banana muffins. —gingerroot
Makes 1 loaf
- 1/4 cup whole pecans
- ½ pound butternut squash (peeled, sliced into ½” rounds and halved)
- ½ vanilla bean pod
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- ½ cup well shaken coconut milk
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 6 Tablespoon(s) canola oil
- 1 ½ teaspoon(s) vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan.
- Toast pecans on a baking sheet until fragrant, 5-7 minutes. Allow pecans to cool before grinding them in a mini prep food processor (or similar appliance).
- Place squash pieces in a small saucepan. Using a sharp knife split vanilla bean and scrape into pan, dropping bean in as well. Fold bay leaf in half and add it to the pan along with the coconut milk. Cover, and cook over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until squash is soft, about 15 minutes. Use a hand held masher to mash squash mixture (should have uniform consistency like applesauce). Measure out one cup, discarding bay and bean. Cover with saran and refrigerate to cool slightly. (Can be done one day ahead)
- Whisk together flour, ground pecans, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla. With an electric mixer, beat ingredients until mixture is pale and has thickened a bit.
- Mix in cooled squash sauce on medium until well combined. Repeat with dry ingredients until just combined and thick. Give the bottom of your bowl a swipe with a spatula to make sure all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula if necessary. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a skewer or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before running a knife around edge. Remove to a rack and cool 10 minutes more. Enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Breakfast Baked Good
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla
Toppings That Are out of the Park
How to make one haute dog
Out of the park toppings.
Life's a beach.
It's time to travel.
Food blog links we love.
Put cake on a pedestal.