If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sometimes my best culinary creations have been discovered by accident. This recipe came to me one afternoon when I set out to make a sweet, old-fashioned favorite – rice pudding. As I smelled the milk and rice swirling in the pot, I wanted to dive into a big bowl of mac n’ cheese. I changed direction altogether and ended up with what I like to call "rice n' cheese" (accidental rice pudding). I served it the next day for breakfast with fried eggs and prosciutto, but it could also be a great side dish for crispy fried chicken. What’s more? It’s a tasty mac n’ cheese compromise for those who can’t tolerate gluten and don’t feel like cooking with gluten-free pasta. Enjoy! —SunnySideUp (lesley829)
Serves 2-4 (as side dish)
- 1/4 - 1/2 head of garlic
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons grated white cheddar
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- kosher salt
- cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut off about ½ inch from the top of the garlic head, just enough so you can see the tops of the cloves. Pour a healthy drizzle of olive oil over the tops of the cloves.
- Cover with foil and roast in oven for roughly 40 minutes. Once cloves are cool enough to handle, squeeze them out from their skins and mince. Reserve until later.
- Heat milk in medium saucepan until smoking.
- Add rice and bring to a low boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until milk is absorbed (about one hour), making sure to stir frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, garlic, butter and enough salt and pepper to your liking.
- Garnish with snipped chives.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Rice Dish
The Great Outdoors
Camping foods you'll want s'more of
The best camping foods.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.