If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is not your boring old vanilla ice cream recipe. It incorporates two types of vanilla, and a bit of brown sugar for depth. It has a nice fresh flavor that isn't too rich because there are no eggs. This also makes it a worry free ice cream recipe. The caramel sauce incorporates turmeric to give it a warm feeling, and I love spices in unexpected places. It is based off of a simple caramel sauce from Alice Medrich, from her book Sinfully Easy Delicious Desserts - one I recommend you get. —beijinggirl
Makes 1 quart
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a saucepan and set over medium low heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Take off heat.
- Using a paring knife, split open the pod and scrape the seeds into the pot, adding the pod after. Add the vanilla extract.
- Chill in a bowl set in an ice bath until very cool, then churn in an ice cream maker. After it reaches the desired consistency, freeze it in the freezer while you make the caramel.
Glowing Turmeric Caramel Sauce
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Set the cream near the stove. Pour the water into a 2 quart saucepan and add the sugar, patting it down to make it entirely moistened.
- Set pan over medium heat and cook uncovered for a few minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Continue cooking, without stirring until the syrup starts to turn darker. Swirl gently if it appears to be unevenly coloring. When the caramel turns amber, remove from the heat.
- Add half of the cream, being careful as it will bubble up. Slowly add the remaining cream. Stir over low heat to make it smooth, then simmer for a minute. Off the heat, stir in the salt, vanilla, and turmeric. Serve warm over the vanilla ice cream, or store in the refrigerator for a couple weeks, rewarming as necessary.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the (summer) blues.
Fruit roll-ups are baaaaack (and homemade)!
Have a ball (jar).