If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This Spiced Banana Bread Pudding with Raisins recipe—adapted from The New Moosewood Cookbook— is a satisfying, delightfully spiced desert that skips the saturated fat and cholesterol and uses skim milk instead. The best part is, you don't even notice its absence! If it's butter you crave though, include this sinfully delicious rum sauce atop your pudding for a seriously mmmmmm finale. —KvellintheKitchen
Serves 6 to 8
Spiced Banana Bread Pudding
- 3 to 4 cups cubed sourdough bread (stale or frozen)
- 2 eggs
- 1 eggwhite
- 3 cups lowfat milk
- 1/3 cup sugar (half white, half brown)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- a few dashes cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Have ready a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Spread the cubed bread evenly in the pan.
- Beat together remaining ingredients for the bread pudding. Pour this custard mixture over the bread.
- Bake around 35 minutes, or until firm but not dry. Serve warm or at room temperature, with rum sauce (directions below) if desired.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cream, sugar and salt. Bring sauceplan to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Stir in rum. Spoon desired amount on top of bread pudding.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Stale Bread