Author Notes: Coming up with new vegetable dishes can be challenging sometimes. It's not a problem because there are a lack of recipes for us to choose from. It's a matter of the routine we fall into when in the grocery store. Not many of us have time to plan a menu pre-grocery shop, we just get the veggies we're used to when in the produce aisle.
Here's what I do. I pick up a few of my staples (Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cucumbers), and then pick up one or two ingredients I don't usually cook with. Once they're in your fridge, you can do a little research. You might just find a new staple.
This week's newest veggie in my repertoire: radicchio. And not for salad. This would be a great recipe as a side dish for the holidays! - Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts (trimmed and halved)
- 1 medium head radicchio
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed
- 4 tablespoons honey
- crushed red pepper flakes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine Brussels sprouts and garlic. Pour olive oil generously over sprouts. You want every sprout to look coated in oil. Squeeze in about 2 tbsp honey, a healthy pinch of salt and pepper, and a shake of red pepper flakes. Toss everything to combine. Transfer to a baking sheet. Try to get every single Brussels sprout cut side face down. You want the bottom to get nice and crusty, and the sprout to get soft in the middle. Set aside until radicchio is ready. You will put them both in at the same time.
- Remove any wilted leaves off the radicchio. Cut in half, and cut each half into quarters. Leave the core. It's delicious and helps hold the leaves together. You should end up with 8 radicchio wedges. Place on a baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil and honey over top of the wedges, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. No need to toss in a bowl like the sprouts.
- Put both the sprouts and radicchio into the oven at the same time. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove and cut the radicchio into 1 inch pieces. Toss together with the Brussels sprouts and serve warm.