If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: French toast isn't your only option for 'not so fresh' bread. This recipe is a favorite in our house! You can use any syrup you have on hand, but if you have a few extra minutes, the homemade syrup is worth the effort. This recipe serves two (with syrup to spare), but you can easily double or triple it. - Pinch&Swirl
For the pancakes:
- 4 ounces day-old sourdough bread, crusts removed and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour (or all purpose if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon natural cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- butter for cooking
- Place bread in a medium bowl.
- Combine milk and egg in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Pour over bread and stir gently to coat.
- In another small bowl, combine next four ingredients – flour through salt – and stir to combine. Add to bread mixture and stir. Let stand 15 minutes.
- To make the pancakes; melt 2 teaspoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat until bubbling. Stir batter, then scoop 1/3 cupfuls into skillet. Cook until bottoms are golden and bubbles start to form on the top – 2 minutes or so. With a thin spatula, carefully flip pancakes. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- Transfer to serving plates and serve with warm syrup.
For the syrup:
- 1/3 cup packed, dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- In the meantime, make the syrup. Add all syrup ingredients to a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a low boil. Boil and stir until sugar has dissolved and syrup coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. (If this cools too much before your pancakes are finished, just reheat it for a minute or two.) When you’re about to eat, transfer syrup to a small pitcher.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Stale Bread
12 Make-Ahead Egg Dishes for Easter Brunch
Hop to it!
Winner of Your Best Recipe with Honey
A sweet Q&A with Alexandra Higgins.
Style with a breeze.
Watch Amanda and Merrill Make Macaroni and Cheese Without a Recipe
Gouda riddance to powdered cheese.
Cauliflower Gratin With Mornay Sauce