If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Rich and delicious, Monte Cristo sandwiches are so easy to make and so good to eat. Usually Classic Monte Cristo has three slices of bread, but I like to make them with double portions of meat and cheese. In this recipe, I used a combination of turkey breast and ham, smoked Gouda and Fontina cheeses. The possibilities of the ingredients which you can use in these sandwiches are endless. A recipe is just a guide! Use what you have at home and what you like! - Kukla
Makes 2 sandwiches
For the Mayonnaise- Dijon sauce
- • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- • 1 teaspoon honey
- • 1 teaspoon lemon zest + 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- • 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or parsley, finely chopped
For the sandwiches
- • 4 slices 2 days old white French bread (preferably purchased from a bakery)
- • 4 thin slices homemade or deli style roasted turkey breast (I like Oven Gold brand)
- • 4 thin slices Premium Black Forest ham
- • 4 slices Italian Fontina cheese
- • 4 slices smoked Gouda cheese
- • 4 teaspoons homemade or the best quality store-bought cranberry sauce + more for serving
- For dipping and frying:
- • 2 large eggs + 2 tablespoons whole milk
- • 1/2 teaspoon salt
- • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black or white pepper
- • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- • 2 tablespoons clarified butter for frying
- • Strawberries, for garnish (optional)
- • Confectioners' sugar (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl combine all ingredients for the Mayonnaise-Dijon sauce; whisk until well blended; refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble: On a work surface, lay out 4 slices of bread and spread with Mayonnaise-Dijon sauce.
- Top each bottom slice with a slice of Fontina and a slice of Gouda. Place a slice of turkey and then a slice of ham. Spread 2 teaspoons cranberry sauce; then place a slice of ham, a slice of turkey, a slice of Gouda and a slice of Fontina. Cover with the top slice of bread. Repeat the same with the second sandwich.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the crusts off the sandwich (this helps to seal the ends). Wrap the sandwich tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 2-3 hours. (Wrapping the sandwiches in plastic wrap, compacts them, and prevents the egg batter from seeping in.)
- In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture, turning to coat well.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. When butter is hot, add the sandwiches, and cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes total. Cut each Monte Cristo in half, transfer to a platter, and garnish with the strawberries.
- Spoon some cranberry sauce over each half. Serve immediately, dusted with confectioners' sugar (if desired).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sandwich Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mustard
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Stale Bread
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls