Author Notes: My grandmother made it for me when I was a little girl growing up in Prague and it remains my favorite dessert! Forget the fancy French! - blanka.n
- 1 quart Milk (Whole)
- 6 Eggs room temp, seperated
- 1/2 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean, Scraped, if using
- 1 pinch Salt
Neige (Snow part) aka Creme Anglaise
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 1 quart Milk used for poaching
- 2 teaspoons Best Vanilla extract you can find or the inside of vanilla bean
- In a large pan boil milk til scalding. Add a tiny bit of the vanilla bean insides if using. Whip egg whites til they are stiff.
- Scoop out egg whites with a slotted spoon and poach in hot milk about three minutes per side. They have to look like eggs. Poach carefully about three minutes per side.
- Drain them carefully on a paper towel-lined plate. It gets a little messy but try to make oval shapes.
- Cool the egg-white poached eggs and put to the side.
- Make the cream sauce: Beat egg yolks with 3/4 cup of sugar til lemon color. Add vanilla. CAREFULLY whisk with poaching liquid (Milk). Bring back to the stove and whisk until sauce becomes creamy and coats a spoon. You could easily curdle the sauce if you are not careful.
- If you mess up: Strain through a sieve. Assemble buy pouring the yellow Creme Anglaise to a large shallow bowl and top with poached egg whites and chill in refrigerator or cool place for about an hour.
- Decide how you want to decorate: lightly dribbled caramel sauce is the French standard but you could do dark chocolate shavings - whatever your kids like.