If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My grandmother made it for me when I was a little girl growing up in Prague and it remains my favorite dessert! Forget the fancy French! —blanka.n
- 1 quart Milk (Whole)
- 6 Eggs room temp, seperated
- 1/2 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1 Vanilla Bean, Scraped, if using
- 1 pinch Salt
Neige (Snow part) aka Creme Anglaise
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 1 quart Milk used for poaching
- 2 teaspoons Best Vanilla extract you can find or the inside of vanilla bean
- In a large pan boil milk til scalding. Add a tiny bit of the vanilla bean insides if using. Whip egg whites til they are stiff.
- Scoop out egg whites with a slotted spoon and poach in hot milk about three minutes per side. They have to look like eggs. Poach carefully about three minutes per side.
- Drain them carefully on a paper towel-lined plate. It gets a little messy but try to make oval shapes.
- Cool the egg-white poached eggs and put to the side.
- Make the cream sauce: Beat egg yolks with 3/4 cup of sugar til lemon color. Add vanilla. CAREFULLY whisk with poaching liquid (Milk). Bring back to the stove and whisk until sauce becomes creamy and coats a spoon. You could easily curdle the sauce if you are not careful.
- If you mess up: Strain through a sieve. Assemble buy pouring the yellow Creme Anglaise to a large shallow bowl and top with poached egg whites and chill in refrigerator or cool place for about an hour.
- Decide how you want to decorate: lightly dribbled caramel sauce is the French standard but you could do dark chocolate shavings - whatever your kids like.
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Put cake on a pedestal.