Author Notes: This is one of my favorite quick appetizers for entertaining - the recipe is very simple, yet looks and tastes like an elegant bite. - FamilyStyle Food
Makes about 15 pieces
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and peeled
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, plus additional tiny leaves for garnish
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh bread crumbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound tube prepared polenta
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook just until sizzling and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the pepper to the oil and remove from heat; transfer pepper mixture to food processor work bowl along with basil, vinegar, cayenne and bread crumbs. Puree until smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Slice polenta into 1/2-inch thick rounds and arrange on parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle 2 teaspoons oil over the rounds and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until golden brown, 12 - 15 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with about 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper rouille and a basil leaf.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Polenta Recipe