Author Notes: I created this salad recipe for the holiday season. The goal was to create a salad that would be pretty, delicious & healthy. The beets & pomegranates work really well together while the walnuts provide extra crunch & the goat cheese creaminess. What distinguishes this salad from the rest is the dressing. My salad dressing incorporates some of my homemade jam but you could certainly substitute a good solid store jam. Massaging the dressing into the kale is a critical step...it makes the kale softer & more flavorful.
If there are any leftovers.....this tastes just as good the next day! - sticksnscones
- 1 large bunch Lacinato Kale- cut into 1/2" slivers
- 1 cup Pomegranate airils, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup Roasted beets- cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Walnuts- toasted
- 1/2 cup goat cheese- crumbled
- 1 teaspoon mustard- I like Stonewall Kitchen Maple Mustard
- 1 shallot-minced
- 1 tablespoon Red currant Jam
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate Vinegar(can substitute white balsamic)
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl whisk together the mustard, shallots, jam & vinegar. Slowly add the olive oil while whisking until well blended. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Place the slivered kale a large salad bowl. Add 1/2 the dressing & massage into the kale. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes so that the kale softens & absorbs the dressing.
- Arrange the beets, pomegranate seeds, walnuts & goat cheese on top of kale.
- Pour the remainder of the dressing over the salad & toss. Sprinkle salad with extra pomegranate seeds & serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pomegranates