If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: From my blog, Dinner was Delicious (dot tumblr dot com).
Something happens at midnight on Thanksgiving that makes it feel like winter. Maybe the turkey hangover raises your basal body temperature and makes outside feel colder or maybe it’s just, you know, nostalgia. This year, here in Chicago, it feels extra blustery and we needed a drink to help us warm up.
Wine on its own is never a bad choice, but drinking it sweetened with honey and pomegranate juice, warmed gently and made fragrant with cinnamon and clove is quite possibly the best choice on the planet.
While we wouldn’t recommend using gut-rot-boot-leg-drink-it-in-college-with-straw-two-dollars-for-a-jug-not-that-we’re-speaking-from-experience hooch, this is a great recipe for lower end red wine. Merlot is great, Cabs are delightful, but we’re particularly fond of Trader Joe’s brand Old Vine Zinfandel for this recipe. —Dinner was Delicious
Food52 Review: This is a really nice spiced drink, perfect for a holiday party. It's warm, spiced, and sweet. It's also very simple to make! Need I say more? —Anna Francese Gass
Serves how thirsty are you, honey?
- 1 Bottle of Red Wine (low-mid range Zinfindels and Cabs work well)
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (Mexican cinnamon is particularly nice)
- 1 teaspoon whole clove
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large heavy pot, like a dutch oven, or your crock-pot.
- Stir well to dissolve the honey, slowly warm over low heat, without boiling.
- Keep it barely hot all day, topping up with more wine, juice, and honey, for guests, or down it in one go. No Judgement.
- Serve in mugs or thick, heat-safe glass, with a big plate of gingersnaps.
The Best Vegan Cookbook Tips
Better "bacon," tofu's texture, and more
The best vegan cookbook tips.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
It's time to travel.
Why you should be drinking tequila.
Put cake on a pedestal.