Author Notes: There is a permanent tendency in our family to make things ourselves rather that buy those in supermarkets. Food should not be impersonal when it can be made with soul and love.
To be honest, sometimes it's quite a challenge to make something yourself and get a much better result that it's in a supermarket and not to regret about the time spent on an effort.
Particularly we are talking about tortillas. What can be more obvious to buy than flour tortillas? Just imagine all the time making the dough (and it must not be as tender as for bread!), rolling out each and every peace, and where are we supposed to cook it? Does everybody has a wood-burning stove at home? We personnaly don't!
And still we go for it. We go for the soul in the kitchen, we go for healthier personal food.
Now we go for whole wheat flour tortillas. - GoodFood
Makes 16 tortillas
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup water at room temperature
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sea salt and olive oil in a bowl or a food processor.
- Pulse it or work it with a fork or your fingers until the mixture becomes crumbly. Then slowly add the water until the dough comes together in a firm ball. Carefully add some more flour/water if your dough is too sticky or dry.
- With a knife divide your dough into 16 equal parts (first divide it into halves, then every half into halves and so on). These will be our future tortillas.
- On a floured surface roll out every piece into a thin circle ~20 cm in diameter. Do it one by one and keep the rest covered to prevent them from drying out.
- Heat a heavy bottomed frying pan and cook the tortillas one by one, each side ~15 seconds until it browns slightly. Turn the heat down or up if tortillas start to burn or cook too slow.
- You're done! We usually freeze these tortillas and use them when needed. Surprisingly home-made tortillas turned out to be this much more tasty and tender that store-bought ones. And needless to say how much healthier! Bon Appétit!