If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The combination of flavors in this salad is out of this world! It’s fruity, tarty, crunchy, and sweet – all at the same time! It’s like a fruit salad, but with a big savory side coming from spinach and Gorgonzola cheese. Colorful pomegranates with their distinctive sweet-tart flavor, fruit and hazelnuts make this salad look so festive, I will be serving it this Christmas! This recipe was adapted from and inspired by Rainbow Chopped Salad recipe from Epicurious.com Here are the changes I made to the original recipe: I am using spinach instead of romaine hearts. I used balsamic vinegar instead of red wine vinegar, because I prefer balsamic vinegar in a salad dressing. I omitted shallots in the dressing, omitted red cabbage (don’t like either in a fruit salad) and decided not to coarsely chop hazelnuts but keep them whole, for more crunch. Also, instead of blue cheese, I am using Gorgonzola cheese, which in my experience is milder and suits salads much better than blue cheese. —JuliasAlbum
- 5 cups chopped spinach
- 1 Fuji apple, cored, diced
- 1 Asian pear, cored, diced
- 1 mango, peeled, diced
- 1/2 cup whole hazelnuts, toasted, husked
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/3 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- To assemble dry ingredients: In a large salad bowl, combine chopped spinach, diced apple, diced pear, diced mango, whole toasted and husked hazelnuts, and pomegranate seeds. Mix all ingredients well.
- To make salad dressing: in a separate small mixing bowl, whisk balsamic vinegar with olive oil and honey until emulsified.
- Add dressing to the salad and toss until well mixed. Place salad on individual plates. Top with crumbled Gorgonzola cheese.
- Note: This salad keeps well in the refrigerator for a couple of days, without dressing mixed in.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pomegranates
The Best Thing since Sliced Bread
Crispy cheese has our hearts
We are in love—with this toast.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
It's in the bag.