Author Notes: This started with a recipe for breadsticks from Chico Hotsprings in Pray, Montana, which my husband loved, but not entirely. The recipe morphed as I adjusted it for him. He loves these entirely. - louisez
Makes 4 dozen breadsticks
- 1/2 cup beer, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup orange juice, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon yeast
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1.5 ounces fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Combine beer, orange juice, and yeast. Proof 10 min.
- Add flour, salt, oil, fennel seed, and orange peel. Knead. Place in oiled bowl and let rise till doubled, about 1 hour.
- Divide dough into four pieces. Divide each piece into 12 small balls, and roll out by hand into breadsticks. Place on lightly greased or silpat-lined baking sheets. Let rise 30 minutes.
- Bake at 425 about 15-20 minutes, or till golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer