Author Notes: As I was, once again, shouting hosannas while eating Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter straight from the pot, I thought “hmmm, I bet this would make an awfully good tomato soup.” Slightly adapted from Kristen’s Genius recipe. - mrslarkin
Serves 4 (recipe can be doubled)
- 1 26-ounce box of Pomi strained tomatoes
- 1 26-ounce box of Pomi chopped tomatoes
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- A few basil leaves, chopped if fresh, crumbled if dried
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- crusty bread, or a grilled cheese sangwidge (optional)
- bag of Fritos (optional)
- Place all ingredients into a large soup pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Put a lid on it. Cook for 30 minutes. Taste for salt.
- Serve hot, with or without the onion, with some crusty bread to dip. Or if a grilled cheese sandwich is handy, I highly recommend that for dunking. A few Fritos would be a very good thing here, too.