If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: As I was, once again, shouting hosannas while eating Marcella Hazan’s Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter straight from the pot, I thought “hmmm, I bet this would make an awfully good tomato soup.” Slightly adapted from Kristen’s Genius recipe. - mrslarkin
Serves 4 (recipe can be doubled)
- 1 26-ounce box of Pomi strained tomatoes
- 1 26-ounce box of Pomi chopped tomatoes
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- A few basil leaves, chopped if fresh, crumbled if dried
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- crusty bread, or a grilled cheese sangwidge (optional)
- bag of Fritos (optional)
- Place all ingredients into a large soup pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Put a lid on it. Cook for 30 minutes. Taste for salt.
- Serve hot, with or without the onion, with some crusty bread to dip. Or if a grilled cheese sandwich is handy, I highly recommend that for dunking. A few Fritos would be a very good thing here, too.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls