Author Notes: After submitting my recipe for fennel orange breadsticks, which only uses half a cup of beer, I remembered what I do to use the rest of the beer in the bottle (I'm not a beer drinker. Those who are otherwise inclined could just drink it, I suppose, but I think this soup is better). - louisez
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 pounds broccoli, stalks peeled and sliced, florets broken up
- pinch nutmeg
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup half and half
- 4 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 1 1/2 cup beer
- dash crushed red pepper
- Melt butter in soup pot. Add onion and saute till translucent. Add beer and cook 15 min.
- Add broccoli, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and crushed red pepper. Pour stock in and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer till broccoli is cooked.
- Remove from heat and puree with immersion blender (or puree in batches in food processor). Add half-and-half. Return to heat and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cheese. Cook till cheese is melted.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer