If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: After submitting my recipe for fennel orange breadsticks, which only uses half a cup of beer, I remembered what I do to use the rest of the beer in the bottle (I'm not a beer drinker. Those who are otherwise inclined could just drink it, I suppose, but I think this soup is better). - louisez
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 pounds broccoli, stalks peeled and sliced, florets broken up
- pinch nutmeg
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 quarts vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 4 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups beer
- dash crushed red pepper
- Melt butter in soup pot. Add onion and saute till translucent. Add beer and cook 15 min.
- Add broccoli, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and crushed red pepper. Pour stock in and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer till broccoli is cooked.
- Remove from heat and puree with immersion blender (or puree in batches in food processor). Add half-and-half. Return to heat and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 minutes. Stir in cheese. Cook till cheese is melted.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer
It's Time to Rhyme
The staff at Food52 give us their best haikus.
Do you haiku?
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Bake yourself breakfast.
Calling all recipe testers!