Author Notes: To my mind, risotto is comfort food. And so is booze, so I thought of putting the two together. Adapted from my Spinach Risotto recipe. Coincidentally, when I was flipping through Seductions of Rice by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid, they've got a recipe for Risotto alla Birra, so a few bits I've gleaned from their version, as well.
Eat it with a fork, please. - mrslarkin
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced slab bacon, or pancetta
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup Arborio, Carnaroli, or Vialone Nano rice
- 1/2 cup Guinness Extra Stout
- 2 1/2 cups hot chicken stock
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano, (I use the microplane grater), plus more for serving
- 1 small sage leaf
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- In a medium-sized pot, over medium heat, melt the butter. Brown the bacon. When the bacon is almost done, add the onions and cook until translucent. Do not brown the onions.
- Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with the butter/onion mixture.
- Stir in the beer, and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- In half-cup increments, ladle the hot broth over the rice and stir, until most of the broth is absorbed. Continue this step until all the broth is absorbed, and rice is al dente, and still a little soupy.
- Add the cheese, sage and nutmeg, and stir. Turn off the heat. Stir in the cream. Taste for salt.
- Serve in warm bowls topped with more cheese, if you need, and some black pepper, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer