If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The recipe is a combination of my favorite Fall, well paired ingredients. I recently learned how to reduce beer for a sauce or glaze, I love it!!! Pumpkin Ale has all the flavors for a Fall dish. The spices are well balanced and make a great base for any gourmet dish one could create. This meal just sings in harmony!
- 2 12 ounces bottles pumpkin ale
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 8 medium chicken thighs, skin on
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 medium shitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut in 1/2" rounds then halved
- 1/2 pound baby carrots
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped, plus 4 sprigs for garnish
- In a 2 quart saucepan simmer 2 bottles pumpkin ale. Do not boil. Simmer 25-30 minutes until reduced.
- Meanwhile, clean and slice thinly shitake mushrooms. Set aside.
- Finely chop 1/3 cup fresh mint. Set aside. Reserve 4 sprigs for garnish.
- Peel and cut sweet potato into 1/2" rounds. Cut each round in half, set aside in small bowl with carrots.
- Preheat oven to 400'
- Heat oil in large saute pan. Add chicken thighs, skin side down. Sear until crispy and browned. Turn and cook underside 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken to plate and drain oil from pan. Add butter, balsamic vinegar and mushrooms. Saute mushrooms while loosening crusty bottom from pan until tender.
- At this time, beer should be reduced. Add honey and continue to simmer 2 minutes in saucepan, stirring until combined making a nice glaze.
- Add glaze to saucepan, reserving 1/3 cup in saucepan for vegetables. Combine well and bring to simmer.
- In small bowl cobine apple juice with flour until smooth.
- Add to sauce. Stir and cook 3-5 minutes until thickened and smooth. Add chopped mint, reserving 1 Tbsp for sprinkle on vegetables.
- Place chicken in 9" x 13" baking dish, leaving skin uncovered.
- Cook in preheated oven 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam sweet potato and carrots on stove top until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered.
- To plate; serve 2 thighs on each plate topped with an equal portion of sauce. Pile vegetables and sprinkle fresh chopped mint.
- Drizzle reserved glaze down center of vegetables and inside rim of plate.
- Garnish vegetable portion with fresh sprig of mint. Serve hot!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beer
Let's Play Gin
It's time for Haiku52
Our haikus about gin.
Food blog links we love.
We've got the summer blues.
Are marinades worth it?
A better basket.