Author Notes: Inspired from the book, Cutting for Stone, Crispy Berbere Chicken over Ethiopian Lentils is full flavored and fun to make. - feastingathome
- 6 chicken thighs- bone in, skin on
- 2-3 tablespoons berbere spice mix (see recipe)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt
- CRISPY BERBERE CHICKEN THIGHS Preheat Oven to 450F Pat Dry Chicken Salt all sides of chicken. Generously rub each piece with Berbere Spice Mix. Heat 1 T oil in a heavy bottom skillet, on medium high heat, place chicken skin side down and sear until is crispy and golden, about 8 minutes. Turn over, and turn heat down to medium, searing for 2-3 minutes. Place in a 425 F oven until internal temperature reaches 165F ( 10-15 minutes)
- BERBERE SPICE MIX 3 T sweet paprika 1 T red pepper flakes, ground plus more for extra spicy 2 tsp cumin seeds or powdered cumin 1 tsp coriander seed (or powder) 1 tsp cardamom powder or 1 tsp cardamom seeds (shell off) 1 tsp turmeric 1 teaspoon salt 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (or powder) 1 tsp black peppercorns or freshly ground peppercorn 1/2 tsp ground cloves 1/2 tsp allspice 1/2 tsp ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon If using whole seeds, lightly toast them on the stove top in a skillet for 2-3 minutes. Grind them using a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle. Remember to crush or grind the chili flakes.
- serves 6 ETHIOPIAN SPICED LENTILS 1 Cup french green lentils 3 C water 2 cups diced onions 5 cloves garlic, minced 1 T fresh ginger, minced 1 cup diced carrot 1 cup diced tomato 2-3 T Berbere Spice Mix...see below 1 tsp salt 2 T olive oil Fresh Italian parsley