If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Now and then, I get a hankering for local tastes I became accustomed to living in Old Blightly. (Aka United Kingdom). One thing I could count on seeing on any pub menu was Welsh Rarebit. Welsh Rarebit is essentially a cheese sauce poured over toast; like a juxtaposition of a grilled cheese and fondue. I wanted to make this a more substantial meal rather than a pub snack, so I added crispy prosciutto, chives, spinach, and some roasted tomatoes on top. I prefer to eat this on a casual night in, but if you double the recipe for the sauce it can also make a great starter if you decided to invite friends over for a casual get together —theicp
- 6-8 Slices artisan wheat bread
- 3-6 Slices of prosciutto
- 1/4 c. Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 c. Spinach, chopped
- 3 T. Butter
- 2 T. Flour
- 2 1/2 c. Cheshire cheese, shredded
- 1 c. Spaten or your favorite ale
- 1 t. Dijon
- 1 t. Honey
- 1/2 t. Red wine vinegar
- 1 t. Marjoram, chopped
- 1/2 c. Heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 t. Tomato paste
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 c. Chives, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a baking pan lined with aluminum foil, place the strips of prosciutto and tomatoes. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper and place the pan in the oven for 15 minutes.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and whisk with the flour over medium high heat. Then, stir in the Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, cheese, beer, dijon honey, red wine vinegar, tomato paste, and marjoram. Whisk until smooth and season with salt and pepper. Then, take the pan off the heat and slowly whisk in the heavy whipping cream.
- Toast your bread. Place a few slices on a plate and pour the cheese sauce directly over the bread.
- Then, break up the crispy prosciutto and sprinkle it on top of the toast, along with the chives, tomatoes, and spinach. Have it on its own or with some piping hot soup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pub Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Home Alone Dinner
Toppings That Are out of the Park
How to make one haute dog
Out of the park toppings.
Life's a beach.
It's time to travel.
Food blog links we love.
Put cake on a pedestal.