If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fragrant with heady spices and exotic flavor, this dish combines the spicy, sweet and salty flavors that are synonymous with northern Africa. Perfect for entertaining, as it can be prepared a day ahead. Serve it family style on a large platter, on pillows of couscous. - hopecooks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 bone-in chicken legs and thighs
- salt + fresh black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled + chopped
- 1 onion, peeled + sliced
- 6 ripe plum tomatoes, chopped (or drained canned italian tomatoes)
- 1 cup good quality, pitted green olives
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 juice of an orange (freshly squeezed)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup pitted dried prunes
- 1/2 cup dried pitted apricots
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat in a deep, heavy skillet. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, cinnamon & cumin on both sides. Saute the chicken, for approximately 3 – 5 minutes per side, until browned. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add additional tablespoon of oil to pan, if needed and saute garlic and onion for 2 minutes, until translucent.
- Add tomatoes, olives, tomato paste, orange juice, chicken stock, prunes, apricots and bay leaf to pan and cook, stirring for 2 – 3 minutes bringing to a simmer.
- Add reserved chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan, spooning sauce over chicken.
- Cover and braise on a low simmer for 30 minutes, until chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Garnish with parsley and serve. (May be made a day ahead and reheated)
Around the World in 16 Breakfasts
The most important meal of the day, the international way.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Wildcard Winner: Texas Tailgate Burger
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.