Author Notes: I'm an avocado fiend, always on the lookout for other ways to incorporate them into my diet. It was summer and the height of tomato season when I stumbled into this recipe, inspired by a bruschetta picture found on a friend's blog. But this is barely a recipe, honestly; just use any fresh herbs you have on hand, toss together with some of your favorite nuts, and enjoy. This is an easy appetizer to make when you're already planning to fire up the grill. - Minimally Invasive
- 4 avocados, halved, cut sides brushed with oil
- 4 small lemons, halved horizontally, cut sides lightly oiled
- 2 handfuls chopped fresh herbs, like parsley, thyme, chives, basil...
- good-quality olive oil
- coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Set up your grill for direct-heat grilling. When the coals are ready, lay the cut side of avocados and lemons on the grate and grill until avocados have grill marks and are heated through, and lemons are lightly charred and caramelized.
- Chop whatever herbs you have on hand (parsley, thyme, lemon thyme, chives and basil in my case) then mix with some olive oil and salt. Toast nuts and slice some cherry tomatoes. Top the avocado halves with the herbs, sprinkle with nuts and tomatoes, then give the caramelized lemons a good squeeze over the whole mess.