Author Notes: When I was growing up, my mom was one of the few moms in our circle who worked outside the home. Despite the fact that she had a full time job as a university professor and wrote three books before I went away to college, she always made a home cooked dinner that was delicious. I learned my basic cooking philosophy from her -- there is no such thing as being too busy to cook from scratch. Now that I'm a working mom (with no books, but a blog), I appreciate recipes like this one, which I got from her. It's flavorful, simple, and above all fast, and allows me to get dinner on the table after I get home from work with a minimum of stress. - Savour
To prepare the steak:
- 1 flank steak, about 2-3 lbs.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons crumbled dried rosemary
For the cheese topping:
- 6 ounces feta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Score the flank steak on both sides with a diamond pattern.
- Season steak with salt and pepper, rub in olive oil and rosemary and leave to marinate at least one hour.
- Preheat your broiler.
- Combine feta, garlic, rosemary, parsley and some freshly ground pepper. Thin to a spreadable consistency with milk.
- Broil flank steak for 3 minutes on 1 side. Flip and broil 1-2 minutes. (Times indicated are for a relatively thin flank steak cooked rare. I use the hand test to test doneness - I poke it and if it feels like the meaty part between my thumb and index finger it's about right.)
- Spread the feta mixture on top of the entire steak. Broil until bubbly.
- Let steak rest for a minute or two, then slice on the diagonal.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Recipe or Technique Your Mother Taught You
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Broiled Steak