Author Notes: This pumpkin soup tastes like all things autumn. I usually buy a fairly big one, cut it into pieces, roast them and make fresh pumpkin pancakes in the morning and this soup at night. It's tummy-filling and very flavorful. - amelinda
- 5 cups pumpkin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1.5 teaspoons hot paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- Roast pumpkin at 375 degrees in a baking pan for approximately 15 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together sugar, spices and salt in a small bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and 1/2 of the spice mixture. Saute until fragrant.
- Add cooked pumpkin and chicken broth to pot. Mix well and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Let simmer ten minutes then blend.
- Taste for spice and add more mixture to taste. I used it all and it was strong, but still good. Use your own judgment though! Top with roasted pumpkin seeds (seen above, with smoked paprika) or a dollop of creme fraiche.