If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: this kind of a soup is particularly good when you need a bowl of comfort. it has substantial character which comes from a combination of pureed and whole textures. we like our soup to be fairly thick, like the consistency of a soft set custard so that it rests easily on the spoon. you could add a little left over boiled rice and ladle the soup over it for those with heartier (read male) appetite. toasted sourdough would be welcome too. —mehrunnisa
Serves 2 as full meal
- 1.5 pounds leeks white and green parts sliced into rings
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces can of chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 sprigs chopped flat leaf parsley
- i use the whole leek (white and green parts). slice the leeks into medium rings and wash thoroughly. i usually let them sit in a pan of cold water for a couple of minutes and rub them gently before rinsing. this helps release any dirt inside the rings. pat dry the leeks.
- heat the olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pan. you basically need enough to coat the leeks well. sweat the leeks on a gentle heat until they are pale and soft. now remove half of the leeks from the pan with a slotted soup and cook slightly before blitzing to a smooth puree. you can use some of the vegetable stock to keep the blades moving in case they get stuck.
- return the pureed leeks to the pan, add the drained chickpeas, curry powder and vegetable stock. stir and simmer to desired thickness. season with salt before serving. ladle into large bowls and garnish with some chopped flat leaf parsley to serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Leeks
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.