Author Notes: This is a german recipe that I played with. I used Mario Batali's recipe for the Béchamel sauce as reference.
I served this with roasted vegetables and a green salad. - Sunnycovechef
Serves 4 people
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 41/2 tablespoons white flour
- 3 cups low fat milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Melt butter over medium heat, add flour, stir until golden brown. In the meantime heat the milk and half and half.
- Add the hot liquid a cup at a time whisking constantly until very smooth. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes whisking constantly . Add salt and nutmeg.
Leeks,butter, gouda cheese, Prosciutto
- 4 skinny leeks
- 8 paper thin slices of Prosciutto
- 2 ounces medium aged grated gouda cheese
- Cut the green and ends of the leeks. Cut each leek into 2 pieces. Wash them and simmer them in salted water for 10 minutes. Carefully put them in ice water and dry them in a towel.
- Butter an 8" by 12" inch gratin dish. Wrap a slice of Prosciutto around each piece of leek and put them into the dish. Add enough bechamel sauce to cover the leeks. I had about a cup leftover sauce. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for 10 - 15 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Leeks