- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (or brown rice)
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 bunch asparagus or broccoli
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup grated carrots
- zest of 1 lemon
- Snap off ends of asparagus spears and cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Steam asparagus or broccoli until still bright green and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Toast almonds on a baking sheet in oven or toaster until lightly browned.
- Make Citrus Dressing: whisk together olive oil, orange juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, honey, and salt and pepper.
- Grate carrots and lemon zest.
- Place quinoa, asparagus or broccoli, toasted almonds, zest of 1 lemon, 1 cup of shredded carrots in a large serving bowl. Pour dressing over the pilaf and gently toss.