If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mother would take us blueberry-picking every summer. We weren't always that enthusiastic about the picking, but with these muffins offered as our reward, we always seemed to muster the energy to get the job done!
I haven't changed a thing about this recipe, however, sometimes I sneak a couple of tablespoons of wheat germ into the batter to give them an extra bit of nutrition. - Rhonda35
Food52 Review: Although she had never made them herself, Amanda remembers these muffins from childhood (“Mom” refers to her and her sister Rhonda35’s mother). Butter, egg and milk make for a light, cakey texture, but the addition of toasted coconut is what sets these apart from standard blueberry muffins. The base is not too sweet, allowing the tartness of the berries and the coconut to take center stage. We used colossally large commercial blueberries because they were all we could find, but if you can get your hands on some little wild ones, we’d recommend it. - A&M - A&M
Serves 1 dozen large muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup coconut, toasted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 12-cup muffin tin and, if desired, line with paper muffin cups. Set aside.
- Sift together the 2 cups flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Stir in toasted coconut.
- Combine egg, melted butter and milk. Add to dry ingredients and mix lightly till combined.
- Toss blueberries with 1 T flour. This prevents the blueberries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins. Fold into batter.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees F for 17-20 minutes or till they test done.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and finish cooling on a rack.
- Your Best Muffin Contest Winner!