If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I discovered this wonderful tomato-based soup while living in New Jersey. The regional paper published a version made by Oz Blackaller, owner of Cueva Bar in San Diego. I just upped the "hearty" factor a notch or two. —Erika Kotite
Serves 6 plus lots of leftovers
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely shredded greencabbage (Napa or Savoy)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 egg
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 6 cups tomato sauce
- 12 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon garlic, smashed
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- For the meatballs: Combine everything in a large bowl. Roll albondigas about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Place on baking sheet and store in refrigerator.
- For soup: Bring tomato sauce, water, bouillon and garlic to a boil. Add meatballs one at a time. Lower heat and simmer for about one hour.
- Add rice and continue to simmer until heated through.
- Place four meatballs in each bowl and then soup. Serve with warm corn tortillas and a cabbage and carrot salad.
A Piece of Beauty
Meet Mosser Glass
Meet the cake stand extraordinaries
The best vegan cookbook tips.
It's time to travel.
What to watch (and cook to) on Netflix.
Put cake on a pedestal.