Author Notes: I discovered this wonderful tomato-based soup while living in New Jersey. The regional paper published a version made by Oz Blackaller, owner of Cueva Bar in San Diego. I just upped the "hearty" factor a notch or two. - Erika Kotite
Serves 6 plus lots of leftovers
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely shredded greencabbage (Napa or Savoy)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 egg
- 2 cups finely chopped onion
- 6 cups tomato sauce
- 12 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon garlic, smashed
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- For the meatballs: Combine everything in a large bowl. Roll albondigas about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Place on baking sheet and store in refrigerator.
- For soup: Bring tomato sauce, water, bouillon and garlic to a boil. Add meatballs one at a time. Lower heat and simmer for about one hour.
- Add rice and continue to simmer until heated through.
- Place four meatballs in each bowl and then soup. Serve with warm corn tortillas and a cabbage and carrot salad.