If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Crisp Fuyu persimmons contribute to an outstanding salsa—and at a time when we've nearly accepted that salsa season is over until summer. This is one of our favorite side dishes during winter months, when the branches on our beloved Fuyu tree hang low—weighed down with dangling, bright orange fruit, like nature's ornaments on an open-air holiday tree. We scoop it with corn tortilla chips or serve on a black bean taco. It's nice as an accompaniment to fish as well.
If you love the spicy bite of fresh ginger, add the full amount, otherwise a smaller portion will do as well. Mix this salsa up just before serving—cut persimmon becomes a bit slimy the longer it sits.
Be sure to select Fuyu persimmons. They're the ones shaped like tomatoes, and are ripe when firm and crisp. The other variety commonly found in markets is the Hachiya, which is larger, acorn-shaped and mouth-puckering astringent when crisp (and under ripe). Wait to eat Hachiyas when they're so soft the gooey flesh practically bursts its skin.
- Ann S
Makes about 2 cups
- 2 large ripe and crisp Fuyu persimmons, peeled—stems and leaves removed
- 1 lime
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 to 1.5 teaspoons minced, peeled ginger root
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh mint leaves
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Dice whole persimmons into approximately 1/4 inch cubes.
- Rinse the lime and dry thoroughly. Zest, using a fine grater or microplane zester/grater. Juice the fruit and remove any seeds.
- Place persimmon, scallions, ginger (to taste-see headnote), cilantro and mint in a bowl. Add one teaspoon lime zest, plus 1 teaspoon lime juice. Stir gently to combine. Season with a pinch each of salt and red pepper flakes. Taste and add more salt and up to one more teaspoon lime juice, as needed to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Persimmons
Recipe of the Day
Welcome to the Malt shop.
Recipe of the Day
Cooking the classics from comics.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Memorial Day made easy.
Mortar and pestle perfection.