Author Notes: Last week's "sexy cabbage round-up" and this week's genius recipe (Madhur Jaffrey's stir-fried cabbage) have gotten me in high cabbage mode. I love cabbage, and this is probably my favorite cabbage recipe. It's based on a recipe of a friend, who got it from her mother-in-law, who came from the former Czechoslavakia. - louisez
Serves 2-4, as main dish; 6-8 as side dish
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, oil, or chicken fat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 12 ounces egg noodles or bow ties
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- salt, to taste
- pepper to taste
- Melt fat or heat oil. Add onion and saute till translucent. Add cabbage. Saute, over low heat, till lightly browned. Stir occasionally. This may take 20-30 minutes.
- Cook noodles while cabbage is cooking. Noodles should be undercooked a few minutes (they'll cook more with cabbage). Drain well.
- When cabbage is lightly browned, add cooked noodles. Add sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook about 10 more minutes over low heat.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds and serve.