If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Last week's "sexy cabbage round-up" and this week's genius recipe (Madhur Jaffrey's stir-fried cabbage) have gotten me in high cabbage mode. I love cabbage, and this is probably my favorite cabbage recipe. It's based on a recipe of a friend, who got it from her mother-in-law, who came from the former Czechoslavakia. —louisez
Serves 2-4, as main dish; 6-8 as side dish
- 1 head green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter, oil, or chicken fat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 12 ounces egg noodles or bow ties
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- salt, to taste
- pepper to taste
- Melt fat or heat oil. Add onion and saute till translucent. Add cabbage. Saute, over low heat, till lightly browned. Stir occasionally. This may take 20-30 minutes.
- Cook noodles while cabbage is cooking. Noodles should be undercooked a few minutes (they'll cook more with cabbage). Drain well.
- When cabbage is lightly browned, add cooked noodles. Add sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook about 10 more minutes over low heat.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Green Holiday Side
Make Fruit Caramel
A case for blending your plums
Blend your plums—seriously.
It's all about the sauce.
It's time to travel.
Recipe of the Day