Author Notes: Turns out persimmons and spiced gingerbread make quite the seasonal pair! This classic gingerbread loaf is transformed into something even more delightful with the addition of persimmons. - Becky Rosenthal
Makes 1 loaf
- 1/2 persimmon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1.5 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Beat butter at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar; beat well. Add molasses and egg; beat well.
- Combine flour and next four ingredients; add to butter mixture alternatively with water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mis at low speed after each addition.
- Pour batter into a lightly greases and floured loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until wooden toothpick, inserted in center, comes out clean.
- Cool slightly in pan on a wire rack.
- Serve with whipped cream and extra slices of persimmons.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Persimmons