Author Notes: I am the chef/owner of Da Thanh - slow food - Vietnamese restaurant in South San Francisco. My son keeps asking me to make a Vietnamese style sandwiches. Well, here is my version of a Caramelized Chicken Banh Mi. - Thuy Diep
Chicken breast or leg meat. Pork, Beef or other meat can also be used for this recipe. Soy sauce, Maggi sauce, honey, minced garlic, cloves, black pepper, vegetable oil, yellow onion.
- 1/5 pound Chicken breast,or leg meat
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Maggi sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cloves
- 3 pinches black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
Sweet french baguette, butter, shredded daikon, shredded carrot, vinegar, sugar, kosher salt, jalapeno, Siracha chili sauce, cilantro, soy sauce, iceberg lettuce.
- 8 inches Sweet french baguette
- 1 cup vinegar
- 2 ounces shredded daikon radish
- 2 ounces shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/5 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 4 stems of cilantro
- 1 ounce iceberg lettuce
- In a bowl, pour soy sauce, Maggi sauce, honey, minced garlic, cloves, black pepper and vegetable oil. Stir till the sauce is smooth. Put the chicken meat in, turn it, and make sure it is covered with sauce. Let the meat marinate 1 hour. Take the meat out and grill at medium high heat in a separate pan. Let it cook 2 minutes before turning over. When both sides turn golden brown, and the crust is crispy, and fluffy remove from the grill. The meat should be cooked crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Then slice into thin slices. In a medium frying pan add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Bring to medium heat. Put the onions in. Stir evenly and continually until the onions turn a golden brown. Add the meat and season with 1 teaspoon soy sauce, a pinch of black pepper and a pinch of sugar. Stir quickly for 1 minute. Turn off the fire.
- Slit the baguette all the way from one end to the other but keep it intact. Remove about half the bread from inside the crust. Toast the baguette (for best results). Spread butter over the whole bread evenly. Now layer the inside first with the lettuce then daikon & carrot pickle, meat, jalapeno (optional), Siracha chili sauce. Garnish with cilantro. In a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 1 teaspoon of sugar & 1 teaspoon of soy sauce. Mix it, top the sandwich with a teaspoon of the sauce.
- To make daikon radish & carrot pickle: In a bowl, pour the white vinegar, sugar, kosher salt, and water. Mix it up. Add shredded daikon radish and shredded carrots. Let it sit 10 minutes. Squeeze it dry before putting it on the sandwich The remain of pickles can save in refrigerator a few days.