If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I just recently discovered persimmons, and I love them! This galette shows off tthe persimmon's sweet, luscious flavor very well. The galette consists of a cream cheese filling, persimmon topping, and a creme fraiche whipped cream garnish. —daisyt13
Serves serves 4
- 1 piece pre-made pie dough, either homemade or store-bought
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- sugar, as needed, to sprinkle on dough
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- zest of 1/2 large orange
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- 3 pieces medium-sized Fuyu persimmons, fully ripened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- zest of 1/2 large orange
- 4 ounces creme fraiche
- 3 sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 to 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste, to taste
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sprinkle flour on the work surface and on the pie dough and roll out to about 11? in diameter and 1/4? thick. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, orange and lemon zests. Rub the sugar and zest together with your hands to release the citrus oil into the sugar. Add a pinch of salt and the Grand Marnier and mix well. Set aside.
- Cut the stems and peel the fuyu persimmons. Slice them in half, and cut into thin slices, about 3/8-inch thick. Remove any seeds, if needed. Place the persimmon slices in the sugar mixture and toss to coat well.
- Prepare the galette filling by placing the cream cheese, sugar, and orange zest in the bowl of the food processor and process until well combined. Spread a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture in the middle of the dough, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border all the way around. Arrange the persimmon slices on top of the cream cheese. Fold up the edges around the fruit, pressing on the pleats together. Place the galette on the lined baking sheet. Brush the edges of the dough with the milk or cream, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling, about 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
- While the galette is baking, prepare the crème fraîche whipped cream. In a work bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the crème fraîche with the sugar until smooth. Add the heavy cream and vanilla bean extract or paste and whisk until right before the cream hits the soft peaks stage. The resulting whipped cream should be spoonable. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve; whisk a few times before serving. This can be made a day ahead and refrigerated.
- Serve warm galette with a dollop of crème fraîche whipped cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Persimmons
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).