If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Polenta is so versatile that it can literally take any type of topping. For this recipe I chose to top the grilled polenta with asparagus and Parmesan topped with some Balsamic Glaze. —Maria Teresa Jorge
- 1 cup cornmeal or instant polenta
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 18 asparagus
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup Parmesan in slivers
- Balsamic Glaze in squeeze bottle
- In a heavy pan bring water and salt to a boil. Pour the cornmeal in a steady stream and whisk. Lower heat to low and cook the polenta so that it barely boils, whisking constantly. When it starts to thicken, use a wooden spoon and continue cooking for 45 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until the polenta creates a crust in the pan and pulls away from the sides. If using pre-cooked polenta follow the instructions in the package.
- Line a shallow baking tray with plastic film, spread the polenta to about 3/4 inches thick, cover with film and allow to cool completely.
- Peel and trim the aspargus, cut them lengthwise in half.
- Pre-heat the oven grill to very hot with rack in top shelf
- Cut wedges or rectangles of the cold firm polenta and put on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the polenta on both sides with olive oil and grill for 3 minutes on each side or until crispy and brown.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil in a sautée pan and fry the asparagus on both sides until golden but still crispy.
- Top the grilled polenta with asparagus, add a pinch of salt, the parmesan slivers and drizle balsamic glaze on top.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Home Alone Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Polenta Recipe
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.