If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've had a terrible cold, as have many of you I'm sure. It's just the way things are going this January. So, when I came crawling home after three days in New York cold and damp and sick, I managed to stand for the 15 minutes it took to throw this together, then slept until it was ready. I'm feeling better and while it may seem frivolous to claim any magical healing properties... one thing is certain... It's delicious.
I served this over a kind of colcannon of potatoes mashed with cream and butter stirred together with sauteed shredded brussel sprouts. - MrsWheelbarrow
- 1/4 pound pancetta, diced
- 4 lamb shanks
- 12 large shallots, peeled
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2" chunks
- 2 fennel bulbs, cut into large dice
- 1 cup parsley, chopped rough
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped rough
- 1 quart crushed tomatoes with juice
- 1 quart veal or chicken broth
- 3 cups bold red wine
- zest of one orange
- In a large Dutch oven brown the pancetta and then brown the lamb shanks quickly. Remove from the pot.
- With the heat on medium, add the whole shallots to the pot and cook well for about twenty minutes, total, turning now and again. They should be well browned and caramelized.
- Add the garlic cloves and cook for five minutes, then add the red wine. Raise the heat and boil the alcohol smell off - about three minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and add back the lamb and pancetta. Stir well and bring to a boil. Generously salt and pepper the mixture.
- Cover and place the pot in a 325° oven for three hours. Taste and correct for salt and pepper.
- This dish may be cooked in a slow cooker.
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.