If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is my attempt to streamline the daily breadmaking in my house. A saltless dough is mixed up using a stiff levain type sourdough starter and a portion is set aside which becomes the exact amount of levain needed for the next day's batch. I don't like the clean-up and fiddly-ness of refreshing aseparate starter every day. This recipe also serves as a cheatsheet for making the other chewy rustic not-so-sour baguettes I posted prior to this.
Also this dough makes excellent soft pretzels! Which I will post sometime soon.
Makes 3-4 baguettes or 9-12 pretzels
- 515 grams unbleached AP flour (about 4-1/4 cups)
- 410 grams filtered water (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 160 grams REFRESHED 80% hydration starter (about 3/4 cup + 1 T.)
- 12 grams salt (about 2 tsp.)
- 15 grams or so olive oil for the bowl (a few teaspoons)
- 2 two shot glasses or tiny bowls for salt and oil - optional
- 4-5 ice cubes for baking
- 1 cast iron skillet for steaming
- overnight / MIX THE DOUGH: Mix the flour and water until it becomes a "shaggy mass." Allow to rest in fridge for 12-24 hours.
- 1 hour / ADD STARTER: Mash in small chunks of cold starter into the cold dough; then stretch and roll. Let sit 1/2 hour. Stretch and roll. Let sit 1/2 hour.
- 1 minute / REMOVE PORTION FOR NEXT STARTER: Make a third stretch and roll. Remove a portion that weighs 160 grams (about 3/4 c. + 1 T.) Allow this to sit out - covered - at room temp until doubled in size, then refrigerate.
- 3 hours / S&R + ADD SALT: Scrape out dough with spatula and oil bowl with one hand while holding dough in other. Continue to do "stretch-and-rolls" every half hour, except this time you are sprinkling salt after the stretch and before the roll. Get all salt in by fourth S&R.
- overnight / BULK RISE: Cover and store in fridge for another 12-24 hours.
- 4 - 5 hours / DIVIDE, SHAPE, PROOF: Divide dough into 3 pieces, shape and place in couche. Do POKE-TEST to determine readiness.
- 10 mins. / HEAT OVEN, SLASH & BAKE: Heat oven to 450 deg F. Place cast iron skillet on bottom rack. When hot. slash and slide into oven. Add ice to skillet and close door. Bake 10 minutes; turn stone/sheet around. Lower temp to 425 and bake another 11 or 12 minutes. Allow to cool one hour before eating.
The New Food52 Office
A space that makes you want to come to work
The new Food52 office.
A toast to toast.
We're obsessed: wooden everything.
Yes, be in a pickle.