If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My kid recently asked for the recipe for our homemade chicken noodle soup and it was the first time that this recipe has ever touched paper. Over the years, my kid and I have tweaked my family's chicken noodle soup into our very own recipe. We prefer to cut our egg noodles wide so that they fluff up and dominate the bowl, but we won’t judge you if you cut them into smaller more manageable bites. - gravy lessons
Serves 8 to 10
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 onion, fine dice
- 1 celery heart including leaves, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 gallon homemade chicken stock or high quality store bought stock
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- kosher salt
- 1 pinch red cayenne powder
- 2 oven roasted chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 5 drops lemon juice
- Add the oil and butter to the soup pot over medium heat. Sweat carrots, onion, celery, and garlic with 2 teaspoons of kosher salt for 8 to 10 minutes. Add chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then drop to a simmer. Cook for thirty minutes.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- Combine the salt and flour in a bowl with a whisk. Make a well in the center of the flour. Break eggs into the flour well. Stir together with a spoon or your hand. Stir until it becomes a sticky dough. Place dough on a lightly floured cutting board or counter. Knead the dough adding flour as you go until the dough becomes smooth and dense. Then let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Cut your dough into four sections. Roll them into balls and sit aside. Roll out one ball of the dough at a time with a rolling pin using flour as needed. Roll it out as thin as you can comfortably get it. Add a little flour to the round and roll it up like a sleeping bag. Then cut into slices, ¼ inch wide for company or ¾ inch wide for the big fluffy noodles. Unroll the noodles and put them onto a plate or another cutting board. Repeat with the rest of the dough balls.
- Bring your soup back to a full boil and start dropping noodles into the soup pot, a few at a time, and stirring them to keep them from sticking together. Add all the noodles, add parsley and cubed chicken meat in, stir, and cook for 15 minutes or so. Taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in the five drops of lemon juice. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Noodle Soups
Why the Simplest Recipes Are Still Worthwhile
Cheer up with chickpeas.
Goya's Balsamic Chickpea Salad
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
Good day, sunshine.