If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: my ultimate, tried-and-true, fail proof, cold-kickin’ combo is this: a stroll in fresh air and a steaming bowl of pho. There’s something about Pho…the strong broth, aromatics, and spices…that warms you from head to toe. There was bit of leftover roast in my fridge, so this particular recipe is for a beef version (Pho Bo). Feel free, however, to sub the broth for chicken or vegetable and omit the meat if you need to. To me, pho is all about a deeply flavored, rich, spicy broth.
(For more photos, visit my blog hourglassandbloom.com) - Hourglass & Bloom
Makes 2 big bowls!
- 4 cups Beef Broth (home-made is absolutely preferable)
- 1 handful thinly sliced beef
- 1 packet thin (glass) rice nooddles, or ramen
- 1 handful bean sprouts
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1 lime, cut in wedges for squeezin'
- 1 handful fresh basil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup scallions, diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, pepper
- sriracha, added as you please!
- Finely mince 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and sauté in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Once the garlic is turning golden, pour in the broth, followed by your scallions and thinly sliced mushrooms.
- Add in a pinch of salt and pepper, and a dash each of chili powder, cumin, and ginger.
- Pour in 4- 5 cups of water, and let simmer for 30 minutes, or until adequately reduced.
- Once the broth is finished, place a handful of rice noodles in the bottom of a bowl and pour the piping hot liquid over. The noodles will begin to cook, and now you can add your condiments! I love the traditional bean sprouts, hand torn fresh basil, thin slices of jalapeno, and a squeeze of lime. If you like it spicy (like I do), stir in a bit of Sriracha hot sauce! If a more mild flavor is what you prefer, you can also add Hoisen or a bit of duck sauce.
- Slurp up, and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Noodle Soups
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.